This salad, while light and bright, and refreshing, is completely seasonal, which is a great reminder that winter eating doesn’t have to be heavy and ooey and gooey and traditional-comfort-foody. Coming off of the holidays and New Years is, for so many, an exercise in reining it in food-wise. This salad will support that effort while still satisfying you and keeping your attention. This in-season grapefruit adds flavor, punch, and color equally. And the fennel is crunch and tone. This is not your average salad, which is why it’ll help you stay on track! Here you go.
WHAT YOU NEED
* 1 large ruby red grapefruit
* 2T olive oil
* 2T apple cider vinegar
* 1t sugar
* 1 fennel bulb, sliced super thin
* 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, rough chopped
* 1/3 cup sliced pitted Sicilian (green) olives
* 1/4 small red onion, sliced super thin
WHAT TO DO
Zest the grapefruit into a small bowl. Add the olive oil, vinegar, and sugar and mix to combine. Taste and add sugar, a tiny bit at a time, if needed for balance. Set aside.
Separate the grapefruit into segments. Peel each segment and break down into small chunks and place into a large serving bowl. Add the rest of the salad ingredients, then stir in the dressing and mix carefully.
Serve and enjoy.
* Adapted from a recipe in Quick. Easy. Healthy. by Callum Hann and Themis Chryssidis.