Transitioning back to “real life” from vacation is always a challenge. So in meal planning for this first week back, I tried to keep things simple and inexpensive and healthy. After all, we need to recover from all angles after a week of amazing fried seafood overload! And this dinner meets all of those needs: almost one pan; cheap, basic ingredients; easy and quick; and healthy. Here you go.
WHAT YOU NEED
* ~2T olive oil
* 1/2 a red onion, chopped
* 3T minced garlic
* 1t ground cumin
* 1 1/2C long grained rice
* 3C low sodium chicken broth
* 14.5oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 4oz can mild diced green chilies
* 10oz package fully cooked chicken sausage of your choice (I used a kale and shallot-flavored variety)
* 1/2C cilantro, chopped
* juice of 1 large lime
* additinal lime wedges for garnish (optional)
* Greek yogurt for serving (optional)
* avocado slices for serving (optional)
* hot sauce or sliced jalapeño for garnish (optional)
WHAT TO DO
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion and sauté for about 3 minutes.
Add the minced garlic and cumin and sauté for 30 seconds, then add the rice and stir to combine. Add the black beans, green chilies, and broth and bring the pan to a boil.
Immediately reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring once or twice.
While that’s simmering, cut the sausage into half-circle slices and brown lightly in a pan.
When the rice is cooked and all the liquid is absorbed, remove the pan from heat and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken sausage and stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately and enjoy!